People can "Steel" the show at Super Bowl parties with this Black and Gold chili that's perfect for Steelers fans. Image from Wikimedia Commons.
Super Bowl Sunday is almost here, and people are looking for great Super Bowl appropriate recipes, like good chili. A bold black and gold chili will be popular among Pittsburgh Steelers fans. It’s easy to make, so even novice cooks can score a touchdown with this recipe.
Super Bowl Sunday requires some great food
Super Bowl Sunday is a national holiday in the United States in all but name. One of the perennial features of Super Bowl get-togethers is great banquet food and because the Pittsburgh Steelers are facing off against the Green Bay Packers, black and gold chili fits to a tee. Serve it along with some Midwestern “hotdish” for Packers fans, and this combination will sack any appetite.
Bold Black and Gold Chili
To make a chili that would make Mean Joe Greene proud, you will need:
- A Crock pot to make that slow simmered goodness
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans
- 1 pound top sirloin steak (cubed)
- One medium onion
- Two cans of diced tomatoes
- One can of corn
- One small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- One tablespoon each of garlic, onion powder, chili powder and cumin
Preparing black and gold chili
Soak the dry black beans for at least eight hours before making the chili. A quick soak is rarely sufficient, so be sure to give them plenty of time to soften up. Drain the beans in a colander before adding them.
- The night before the big game, bring the crock pot out.
- Dice the onion.
- Dice the steak into small pieces.
- Add steak, tomatoes, corn, beans, onion and chipotle peppers to crock pot.
- Add seasonings and stir. More seasonings can be added to taste and for color.
- Put the crock pot on “low,” cover and simmer until game time.
A word on the peppers
Some don’t like a lot of heat in their chili, but some love it hot. For those who like just a little pleasant heat, remove the peppers before serving. For those who love it hot, removing the seeds from the peppers is always a good idea. This chili should serve well for any occasion, as a good crock pot chili is a great to have year round.